[CentOS] forcing linux kernel 3 to recognize cdrom as hdX

Thu Aug 8 22:01:12 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 8/8/2013 8:09 AM, Oguz Yilmaz wrote:
> I have a problem with older version of anaconda linux installer. I have
> upgraded kernel in my distro, but, when this anaconda boot with new 3.4.52
> kernel, can NOT find cdrom. As far as I understand, this is because the new
> kernel recognize cd drive as srX, scdX instead of older hdX with 2.6.18. At
> the moment I can not upgrade anaconda and forced this kernel to recognize
> it as before.
>
> Are there any kernel command line argument, kernel config or something else
> for kernel 3.4.52 to recognize this cdrom as hdX?

the treatment of "IDE" devices as a seperate /dev/hd* class was removed
from the linux kernel quite a long time ago, now everything is mapped to
'SCSI' devices, /dev/sd*

the anaconda in whatever older version you're running is not going to
work with a newer kernel, you'll need a newer anaconda, and at this
point, what you have no longer resembles CentOS