[CentOS] Problem with "yum update"

Sun Aug 18 14:42:37 UTC 2013
Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com>

On Aug 14, 2013 2:18 AM, "Ljubomir Ljubojevic" <centos at plnet.rs> wrote:

> > If you're using third party repositories, you should also be using the
> > yum-priorities plugin, and set the priorities for all repos to avoid
> > conflicts.
> >      http://wiki.centos.org/PackageManagement/Yum/Priorities
> >

> I would like if CentOS, or RHEL/CentOS, would have yum-plugin-priorities
> as part of default install, and all CentOS *.repo files already added
> "priority=x" line. Then all third-party repositories whould add them as
> part of thier *.repo files and we could teach newbies how to properly
> and safely use third-party repositories. This way it is a mess that
> keeps popularization and en-massing away from CentOS.

This is entirely correct.  Like many, I have been in dependency hell
because of repo mistakes.  Please create a more direct way for new users to
protect themselves. We used to caution people, but that's insufficient now.
It should be in the base install.  I'd say it should be centos priority 1.

Base redhat leaves out too many programs.. epel no longer sufficient, users
forced to quilt things together. It is a tough problem for me (experienced
user).  It drives all the young folks to Ubuntu.  that's bad because they
then don't understand the redhat systems at work.

PJ