[CentOS] Problem with "yum update"

Sun Aug 18 15:06:05 UTC 2013
Carl T. Miller <carl at carltm.com>

Paul Johnson wrote:
> This is entirely correct.  Like many, I have been in dependency hell
> because of repo mistakes.  Please create a more direct way for new users
> protect themselves. We used to caution people, but that's insufficient
> now.
> It should be in the base install.  I'd say it should be centos priority 1.

My recommendation would be to enable only the epel and
nux-dextop repos.  If you add any other third party repos,
have them be disabled.  My experience has been that epel
and nux-dextop do not cause dependency issues, and between
the two they provide almost everything I want.

Don't be surprised if they don't change anything in the
base install.  Remember that the whole point of CentOS
is to provide a system almost identical to what the
upstream source provides.