[CentOS] RHEL Subscriptions

Thu Aug 22 20:49:19 UTC 2013
Michael Coffman <michael.coffman at avagotech.com>

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Michael Coffman wrote:
> > FWIW - The current iteration of redhat's subscription seems to require
> you
> > to have all systems on an up to date subscription if you want to use the
> > OS
> > - for anything on anything.   At least that's the way we've interpreted
> > it.   This did not use to be the case.   Previous iterations said you
> were
> > free to use the OS after the subscription expired.
> >
> >>From the subscription overview here:   (key words in the following, "if
> >> you have no other active subscriptions")
> >
> > "If you choose to let all your subscriptions expire and have no other
> > active subscriptions in your organization, you retain the right to use
> the
> > software, but your entire environment will no longer receive any of the
> > subscription benefits, including:
> >
> >    - The latest certified software versions.
> >    - Security errata or bug fixes.
> >    - Red Hat technical support.
> >    - Access to the Customer Portal.
> >    - Red Hat's Open Source Assurance."
> >
> I think you're misinterpreting. I read it as saying that if you let your
> subscriptions lapse, then you can use up2date, or file bugs (other than as
> someuseroutthere or get technical support, etc. It does not, in any way I
> can interpret, say that you can't keep running the systems, or, say,
> update them from CentOS repositories.
>
> Certainly, I would expect that to be the case, given the GPL.

It says if you let "ALL your subscriptions expire".   I read that to mean
after you have no active subscriptions, you can use the software.   Seems
absolutely crazy, but that's what it says.   It seems more clear to me in
the detailed contract version it says clearly 'use or execute':

"you are required to purchase Subscription Services in a quantity equal to
the total number of Units of that Red Hat Product (including variants or
components thereof) that you deploy, install,
 use or execute."

Not saying this is right or whether they can even hold anyone to this, it
just seems clear to me that execute means run the OS.