[CentOS] died again
hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Dec 4 04:27:25 UTC 2013
On Tue, 3 Dec 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> I found my fans and am about to get some thermal
>> grease and a megohm resistor for static discharge.
>> Sometime today or tomorrow I will likely
>> open the case with fear and trepidation.
>> The sides and top of the case are metal, but painted with an insulator.
>> The front is plastic.
>> The back is metal.
>> I expect I should touch that before opening the case.
>> What about after? Is there something else I
>> should touch before trying to edit its guts?
> Don't worry. Things are a *lot* less static-sensitive. If you really need
> grounding, touch a water or gas pipe.
The first time I opened the case, 'twas to install another hard drive.
I zapped the video card.
For grounding, a heating duct would be a lot more convenient than a pipe.
Would that work?
>> I've read that just adding more is not a good idea.
>> If I add to much thermal paste, what do I do about it?
> I'm still working on "how much". I'd say put a squirt in the middle. Make an
> | |
> | OO |
> Maybe a little more. Don't make a deep puddle - you're just smearing some
> on. Ever put anti-seize on your spark plugs?
I'm a software guy.
Even when I did embedded programming,
I used the scope a lot less than others.
Michael hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"On Monday, I'm gonna have to tell my kindergarten class,
whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword." -- Lily
More information about the CentOS