[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Dec 6 09:06:52 UTC 2013

On 12/6/2013 12:04 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> BIOS... Now when you mention it, I didn't see any message on the screen at
> POST from the raid-card.
> Don't cards like these usually throw a message about setup, raid status, found
> harddrives etc during POST. This one didn't.

the megaraid bios is nasty complex to use.   and maybe you got a card
without it ... you're really better off booting linux from a CD, net,
whatever, to shell and using megacli.   of course, megacli doesn't
/come/ with linux, so you have to get it, and make it available to your
standalone linux of choice (the centos installation boot at a linux
single will do, if you can access media with megacli on it.

and yes, as has been said before, megacli is a rather messy complex
command line.   I found it much easier to understand when I stopped
using -'s on all the options (the - is optional) and stopped using
camelcase, then the commands are less messy.   I ended up making my own
cheatsheet of common megacli commands formatted that way