[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri Dec 6 16:15:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-06, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> and yes, as has been said before, megacli is a rather messy complex
> command line.

The newer storcli command line tool is slightly less horrifying.  There
are also GUI tools, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

If you have a system drive/array that's not on these controllers, you
can install the OS first, then download megacli/storcli and configure
your big array.

And just as the 3ware CLI is easier to use than MegaCLI/storcli, the
3ware BIOS is easier to use than the megaraid BIOS, and it's fairly
straightforward to build arrays.  This is why I often suggest 3ware
over Megaraid for admins who are new to hardware RAID--I found that
solid experience with 3ware's CLI was a big help in deciphering the
incomprehensible MegaCLI/storcli docs.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us