[CentOS] clicking on link in Thunderbird fails to open page in Firefox

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 02:09:26 UTC 2013

On 25/12/13 18:08, ken wrote:

> This worked fine for years until I updated firefox and thunderbird
> recently.  Now, however, when I click on a link in an email in
> thunderbird, rather than open the indicated webpage in firefox, nothing
> at all happens.
>
> network.protocol-handler.app.http in tbird's about:config specifies the
> executable /usr/lib/thunderbird/open-browser.sh and running the latter
> at the CLI with a URL as an arg does work as expected: the spec'd URL is
> loaded into firefox.  So I suspect a bug in tbird.
>
> Anyone else having this problem?

I'm having a problem with Thunderbird's links but not quite the same. I
click on a link in a email & it actually loads it in Chrome but then it
freezes the whole machine. I can launch a terminal via Ctrl-Alt-F2 but
can't get a prompt in order to actually do anything.

My only recourse is a hard reboot via the mains plug.

This has happened for the last few updates. If you get any joy from the
Thunderbird people, please let me know.

Cheers,

   Phil.

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X