[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

Thu Dec 5 08:58:13 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 12/5/2013 12:49 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Would anybody care to suggest a third party SATA-RAID card that works out of
> the box with CentOS 6, without having to jump through hoops to make it work?
>
> The card should preferably be able to connect ten harddrives, but I guess
> three four-port cards should work as well. There's no need for anything fancy
> really, as long as I can create a single big software-raid on it at CentOS
> install-time.
10 hard drives should be plugged into a SAS backplane, even if they are
SATA drives, and driven by a SAS controller, using a 4 channel SAS
cable.  anything else is ghetto.

you said RAID card, then you talk about JBOD?   which is it.

the LSI SAS 920x family should work just fine at this.   if it didn't
you got cabling problems.

at centos install time, you don't create a single big software raid out
of anything, you create mirrors for your OS root and /boot file systems,
then after the system is running, you create your big raid 10 or
whatever as your data volume, make that LVM, put /home and /var on it if
you want, whatever.