[CentOS] Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

Thu Dec 5 09:57:16 UTC 2013
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 12/05/2013 09:49 PM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Would anybody care to suggest a third party SATA-RAID card that works out of
> the box with CentOS 6, without having to jump through hoops to make it work?
>
> The card should preferably be able to connect ten harddrives, but I guess
> three four-port cards should work as well. There's no need for anything fancy
> really, as long as I can create a single big software-raid on it at CentOS
> install-time.
>
> So far I've tried a Highpoint RocketRAID 2740 and a LSI 9201-16i without too
> much success.
I have two servers with various RocketRaid cards installed - you do have
to jump some hoops to make them work but they seem to work just fine
once set up properly - you need to recompile/link for every kernel
update - I have a script that I run to make it painless (YMMV).
Feel free to contact me off list if you want a copy of my setup notes.
You may also want to check epel repo, I recall they had some kmod setup
for some of these cards.