[CentOS] RHEL 7 Beta is now public

Sun Dec 15 09:21:27 UTC 2013
Peter <peter at pajamian.dhs.org>

On 12/15/2013 09:40 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 8:55 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Nobody wants old desktop apps.
>
> new apps tend to have heavier memory and performance requirements.
>
> we don't run 16 bit stuff anymore either, and 16 bit computers, like
> intel 286, are LONG obsolete, outside of the low end embedded market.

That's a bit different, Linux never had 16 bit support, but is still
perfectly usable on a 32 bit arch.  I understand RedHat dropping 32 bit
support for this release, the needs of RedHat customers are different to
those of CentOS users, when you fork out a few grand for a server
license it's not such a big deal to get a new server to go with it.

That said, it may not be very difficult to build the sources for i386,
and I personally don't see any reason why CentOS can't or shouldn't.
The 32 bit arch will be in a separate repo to the 64 bit, so won't
interfere with upstream compatibility, and CentOS likely already has the
infra in place to do a 32 bit build from prior versions.  Since Fedora
still fully supports 32 bit, right up to rawhide it's reasonable to
assume that the RedHat sources should build to 32 bit without too much fuss.

Peter