[CentOS] intrusive chrome [was: Re: clicking on link in Thunderbird fails to open page in Firefox]

Tue Dec 31 14:15:04 UTC 2013
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:54 AM,  <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:

> On 12/30/2013, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> If so, the recent xorg-x11-server updates require that you rebuild (or
>> reinstall) the drivers as those drivers replace some xorg files and if
>> you do not reinstall it can freeze the system or crash X.
>
> Another thing you can do if you are using the NVIDIA drivers is add the
> following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
>
> See http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=425 for more details.
>
> By fixing the xorg.conf file, you do not have to worry about this problem
> re-occurring next time xorg gets upgraded.

In case it is not obvious, I'd like to add a note here. If you are
using ELRepo's Nvidia driver, you do _not_ have to do anything as the
referenced issue has been taken care of in there. Quoting Phil Perry
from that bug report (comment 3338):

"You are correct that the file
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is indeed from the distro
package xorg-x11-server-Xorg. We DO NOT replace that file as if we did
every time the distro package xorg-x11-server-Xorg gets updated the
NVIDIA drivers will break. This is the way the NVIDIA proprietary
installer does it and it's the WRONG way."

This is yet another reason you want to use the ELRepo's Nvidia package !  :-)

Akemi