[CentOS] suggestions for simple audio editor

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Feb 28 18:24:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:24:12AM -0500, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> On 02/28/2013 09:38 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 01:21:50PM +0000, Nux! wrote:
> >> On 28.02.2013 12:32, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> >> After trying several Google searches, it looks like audacity is
> >> the audio editor of choice, but I'm finding it very difficult to
> >> work with.  Notably I am not able to make a selection with finer
> >> granularity than a full second.
> > I don't understand,... I can select very fine-grained selections in
> > Audacity. You probably need to zoom in on the track so you can position
> > the cursor properly, but once you've done so, you can select very
> > precisely.
>
> Yes, that's what I expected.  But even after zooming in with
> the zoom tool to where I see hundreths of a second, I still
> cannot select less than a full second at a time.

What I think you're saying is: if you place the cursor at a location
that is, e.g., 1.43 seconds into the clip, right-click then drag (in
either direction) until you've selected the part you want to cut, that
Audacity moves the endpoints of you selection from where you put them
to a whole-second point?

because that's exactly what I've done manay times and it highlights
the part over which I've dragged the cursor, and I can cut it by
simply hitting the DEL key.

Or are you trying to do it in some different way?

I've placed a screenshot in my web space at:

http://users.rcn.com/fredricksmith/Screenshot-korngold_01.png

of an Audacity session with a selected region that neither begins nor
ends on a 1-second bounary. With that selected, I could hit the DEL key
and poof! it goes away.

Note that at the bottom of the window it displays the begin and end
points of the selection, so you can see what has been selected.

This is Audacity 1.3.12 Beta from the epel repository. Is that the
one you're using?

Fred

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.