[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:07:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:59 AM, M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 12:29:48 PM -0500, ken wrote:
>
> > Considering using rsync on a couple systems for backup, I was
> > wondering if it's possible, and if so how difficult is it...
>
> sorry to step in so late, but I have another question on this very topic.
>
> I have noticed that if I just _change_ the name of a folder, rsync
> doesn't realizes it. That is, if folder holidays_2013 contains, say,
> 1000 pictures of 10 MB each, I rsync it to a remote computer and then
> change its name locally to family_holidays_2013, on the next run
> rsync:
>
> - deletes the remote holidays_2013 and all its content
>
> - creates a remote family_holidays_2013
>
> - uploads again to it ALL the 1000 pictures of 10 MB each

Yes, that's the way it works.  If you change a directory name, rsync has no
way of knowing that you moved it.  And since the new directory doesn't
exist on the rsync source that new directory is removed and those items are
rsynced again.

Bottom-line:  Change things on the source and don't fiddle with them on the
destination.  Or if you really want to eliminate that data being
transferred, I suppose you could do the extra work and rename the directory
at the same time on the source and destination.  Not ideal in the least.

Rsync is comparing files or more precisely blocks of two files (source to
destination comparison).

> even if all the "rsyncing" needed would be something equivalent to "mv
> holidays_2013 family_holidays_2013" on the remote server. Is it
> possible to tell rsync to behave in that way? I think not, but I'd
> like to be proven wrong on this.
>
> TIA,
> Marco

Mike