[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat Jan 19 08:14:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 08:07:40 AM -0500, SilverTip257 wrote:

> Yes, that's the way it works.  If you change a directory name, rsync
> has no way of knowing that you moved it.

I was almost sure that this was the case, but it didn't hurt to ask
for confirmation. Thanks to you, Reindl and all the others who
answered.

> if you really want to eliminate that data being transferred, I
> suppose you could do the extra work and rename the directory at the
> same time on the source and destination.  Not ideal in the least.

Not ideal indeed, but I'll probably do it that way next time that some
renaming like this happens on very large folders. I assume that after
that, I'd also have to launch rsync with the options that says to not
consider modification time. I'll try.

All the other solutions mentioned in this sub-thread would require
more work. Rsync is already configured and works, with just this
limit, and in practice it doesn't happen too often on large
directories, so I'll live with it.

Thanks,
Marco