[CentOS] Smartd Warning in logwatch report

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 20:21:17 UTC 2013

On 18/01/13 16:40, Frank Cox wrote:
> I updated the machine that I use for a web/email server last night to 5.9, and I
> have this in the logwatch report this morning:
>
> QUOTE:

Smartd got an update in the 5.9 release - I'm guessing you've just
recently updated to 5.9?

First check you're using the new /etc/smartd.conf and it was dropped in
as /etc/smartd.conf.rpmnew on my systems.

Secondly, it looks like they updated the drives database with this
release as I have a few drives that are now detected by smartd that
weren't previously.

I would suggest you check back in your logs from *before* you updated,
and I'm guessing the drive was previously detected by smartd as a 'scsi'
device hence the message you are seeing.

Just my best guess.

The "WARNING: There are known problems with these drives" message and
corresponding knowledge base articles, according to my google searches
(below), recommend updating the firmware on these drivers which
presumably fixes the "known problems".

See post #14 in this thread:

Hope that helps.