[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Thu Jan 24 21:27:56 UTC 2013

On 1/24/2013 3:27 PM, James Freer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Leon Fauster
> <leonfauster at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> puias... sorry i overlooked that. Clear enough now. I'll use the epel
>>> and rpmforge repos and see how i get on.
>
> Hi folks
>
>> i do not recommend to use this two repos simultaniuous (or use priorities!).
>> LF
> hmmm - well what is one supposed to do? I've got EPEL installed fine
> but that doesn't have abiword, pyrenamer and some of the the other...
> fairly standard apps. I turned to Centos after Fedora has proved to be
> a bit dodgy. Centos along with debian are supposed to be the TWO main
> community distros. If rpmforge shouldn't be installed (as you've
> advised) it seems i need to look at another distro. The advice is to
> stay with a distro's developer packages and only use other repo if one
> really has to. I can only assume that Centos really is for Server use
> rather than desktop... i was just hoping to use it as a desktop before
> moving onto the server route.
>
> james
I use some things from both epel and rpmforge on many systems. However,
I have used the yum confs to enable what I need from one and exclude
everything else. Then if I'm worried about the other having what I'm
pulling in from the one, I disable that in its conf file. You should
read up on the power of yum where you can set priorities, do exclusions
and such.

Yes, you can get into trouble if you add 2 without any control. For
instance, something like clamav. One repo might set it up with the
username of clam while the other might use clamav. As the updates come
down, suddenly it dies and you have to figure out that the logs are
owned by the wrong user. This is just one example of many things that
can go wrong with mixed repos.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502