[CentOS] firefox 18

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jan 26 05:03:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:17:01PM +0000, James Pearson wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >
> > OK, I've got all that installed. now when I run configure I get:
> >
> > 	checking For gcc visibility bug with class-level attributes (GCC bug 26905)... no
> > 	checking For x86_64 gcc visibility bug with builtins (GCC bug 20297)... no
> > 	checking for gcc PR49911... no
> > 	checking for gcc pr39608... yes
> > 	This compiler would fail to build firefox, plase upgrade.
> >
> > Not sure I know how to make it use 4.4 instead of the older ones.
> > (of course, it doesn't tell me which compiler it's trying to configure
> > for, so maybe it is 4.4, I can't tell.)
> >
> > In an effort to fix that I've done a series of exports:
> >
> > 	# env | grep 44
> > 	gcc=gcc44
> > 	CC=gcc44
> > 	cc=gcc44
> > 	GXX=g++44
> >
> > but it isn't helping. Can you divulge the correct incantation, please?
>
> What does it say in the configure output for:
>
>   checking for gcc...
>
> and:
>
>   checking compiler version...
>
> Also, what is the contents of your mozconfig file (in the
> mozilla-release directory) - mine contains:
>
> . $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
> ac_add_options --enable-update-channel=release --enable-update-packaging
> --enable-official-branding --enable-stdcxx-compat --disable-gio
> mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j4"
> export BUILD_OFFICIAL=1
> export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
> mk_add_options BUILD_OFFICIAL=1
> mk_add_options MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
> CC="gcc44"
> CXX="g++44"

James:

OK, I got past that point by doing this:

	CC=gcc44 gcc=gcc44 CXX=g++44 make -j 3 -f client.mk build

which runs for quite a while

it eventually ends with a bazillion lines about nothing to do for
directory export, finally followed by some sort of error failure. I
haven't figured out yet what that failure is.

Running it again, incorporating some of the stuff you've done in your
mozconfig--but not all of it.

For example, I don't think you want it to be on the release update
channel,... wouldn't that cause the firefox update logic to automatically
clobber your build with the next automatic update? which resulting
Firefox then won't work--the whole reason why we're doing our own builds.

[later...]   Ah, it seems to have completed a build, now.

next dumb question: I recall from when I've built it (years) in the
past that there's a tool, somewhere, for creating an installable .tgz
file, like the one we can download from mozilla. so far I haven't
tripped over it in 18.0.1, do you happen to know what that is?

thanks a bunch for all your guidance,I really appreciate it!

Fred

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us