[CentOS] gigantic memory leak in Clock Applet...

Wed Jan 9 16:16:16 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Paul Bijnens
> <Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-01-09 14:21, fred smith wrote:
>>>      PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>>>    11159 fredex    16   0  263m 149m  10m S  0.3  3.8   1:36.87
>>> clock-applet
>>

>> 149m RES: The parts that are really in use by "this" program, but
>> including the parts shared by many others of the Gnome package that are
running.
>> (I put "this" between quotes, because someone seemed to believe that
>> top or ps or some other program adds memory sizes in in "unfair" way
>> to some processes only, while they should have been distributed over
>> many. Actually I can't find any reason, or explanation of that.)
>>
>> 10m SHR:  of those 149m that are in use, 10m is the shared portion.
>>
>> That leaves 139m allocated exclusively by the clock-applet.
>> Incredibly large yes.
<snip>
>> (Nostalgia: 1m private data for my running clock-applet still seems
>> large to me, remembering to program on a mainframe with a total
>> memory of 12 Mbyte, supporting hundreds of users. I remember it was
>> upgraded to 16 Mbyte, the maximum amount. That was larger than one
>> of its hard disks of 6 or 10 Mbyte, the size of a washing machine.)

Yup. Of course, the punch cards did take up a lot of space.... I remember
carrying boxes in college.

It still bothers me to align the new large disks on 1M or 2M boundaries,
loosing that much disk space; I do remember wanting to kill for one of the
5M h/d's that had just come out for PCs....

> Think in terms of dollars instead of Mbytes here and it will make more
> sense that nobody cares anymore.

You ain't got no sense o' history or wonder, Les.

       mark