[CentOS] gigantic memory leak in Clock Applet...

Wed Jan 9 15:54:42 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Paul Bijnens
<Paul.Bijnens at xplanation.com> wrote:

> On 2013-01-09 14:21, fred smith wrote:
>>      PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>>    11159 fredex    16   0  263m 149m  10m S  0.3  3.8   1:36.87 clock-applet
>

> 149m RES: The parts that are really in use by "this" program, but including
> the parts shared by many others of the Gnome package that are running.
> (I put "this" between quotes, because someone seemed to believe that
> top or ps or some other program adds memory sizes in in "unfair" way
> to some processes only, while they should have been distributed over many.
> Actually I can't find any reason, or explanation of that.)
>
> 10m SHR:  of those 149m that are in use, 10m is the shared portion.
>
> That leaves 139m allocated exclusively by the clock-applet.
> Incredibly large yes.

I think the scenario is that you have large shared libraries that
other programs _could_ ahare but at the moment you don't have other
running applications that actually are sharing the code..

> (Nostalgia: 1m private data for my running clock-applet still seems large to me,
> remembering to program on a mainframe with a total memory of 12 Mbyte, supporting
> hundreds of users. I remember it was upgraded to 16 Mbyte, the maximum
> amount. That was larger than one of its hard disks of 6 or 10 Mbyte, the size
> of a washing machine.)

Think in terms of dollars instead of Mbytes here and it will make more
sense that nobody cares anymore.

--
    Les Mikesell
       lesmikesell at gmail.com