[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

Mon Jan 14 01:36:30 UTC 2013
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 01/13/2013 02:59 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> There is no common
>> >mechanism for making files and databases consistent and making a
>> >snapshot for backups.  Admins must do this on their own.  If you aren't
>> >actively taking steps to make your backups consistent, they aren't.
> open-vm-tools 2012.12.26 changes:
> 	* vmsync is not longer being compiled on newer (3.0+) Linux
> 	  kernels since they support FIFREEZE/FITHAW ioctls.

That's only needed to make a filesystem consistent for a snapshot at a
lower level (such as the raid controller or VM hypervisor).  It doesn't
integrate with higher level components to make files and databases
consistent.  So, like I said, Linux falls far short of Windows' backup
infrastructure, and if you aren't actively making your files consistent
for a backup, they won't be.  All of the required components are
present, but it's up to admins to do all of the integration work.