[CentOS] evaluating backup systems: rsync

Fri Jan 18 09:59:07 UTC 2013
M. Fioretti <mfioretti at nexaima.net>

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 12:29:48 PM -0500, ken wrote:

> Considering using rsync on a couple systems for backup, I was
> wondering if it's possible, and if so how difficult is it...

sorry to step in so late, but I have another question on this very topic.

I have noticed that if I just _change_ the name of a folder, rsync
doesn't realizes it. That is, if folder holidays_2013 contains, say,
1000 pictures of 10 MB each, I rsync it to a remote computer and then
change its name locally to family_holidays_2013, on the next run
rsync:

- deletes the remote holidays_2013 and all its content

- creates a remote family_holidays_2013

- uploads again to it ALL the 1000 pictures of 10 MB each

even if all the "rsyncing" needed would be something equivalent to "mv
holidays_2013 family_holidays_2013" on the remote server. Is it
possible to tell rsync to behave in that way? I think not, but I'd
like to be proven wrong on this.

TIA,
Marco