[CentOS] How to setup VNC for GDM access on 6.3

Wed Jan 23 03:53:32 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org> wrote:
> On 01/22/2013 02:15 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 01/22/2013 03:52 PM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for pointer for setting up VNC so that access to the system is via gdm/kdm.  Yes, I know about vino, and /etc/sysconfig/vncservers but what I'm looking for is a sertup
>>> that allows me to see the *dm login screen instead of being dropped direct into a desktop.
>> Depending on what you are really trying to accomplish, freenx/nx might
>> be what you need (and on centos-6, the OpenNX client):
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/FreeNX
> yep,
>
> I'm aware of freenx... and it drops you directly into a desktop. Not acceptable for this situation.  I'm *really* trying to be dropped into a *dm (gdm/kdm) screen to log into the
> system

Errr, what?   Freenx  offers to leave your desktop running after you
have logged in and suspended - and then if you log back in as the same
user you can resume.  But you can terminate the session when you are
done if you don't want to leave it running.

I've used vnc spawned by xinetd in the past and it works the way you
describe.  It works, but not as nicely as freenx and if you lose your
connection it kills everything running, like it or not.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com