[CentOS] Software Updater issue

Thu Jan 24 18:03:25 UTC 2013
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On 01/24/2013 01:18 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:

>> For some reason the Software Updater thought it would be interesting for
>> me if it upgraded my nvidia 304 driver with the nvidia 310.32-1 driver.
> This would be elrepo's driver, right?  You'll want to uninstall
> nvidia-x11-drv (which will take the kmod with it) and install
> nvidia-x11-drv-304xx instead (which will pull in the 304 legacy driver.
> You'll need to reinstall any dependent packages with it, so take notes
> when you do the uninstall of nvidia-x11-drv.  Too bad yum doesn't do a
> 'yum replace nvidia-x11-drv nvidia-x11-drv-304xx' or similar.
>
> This was posted on the elrepo mailing list a while back; if you use the
> elrepo drivers you really need to follow the elrepo list.
>
> And this is at core an nvidia issue, since nvidia is the one changing
> their drivers.

Thanks, Nicolas and Lamar, for your helpful posts. Indeed, subscribing
to the ELRepo mailing list is strongly recommended for anyone using
ELRepo packages.

There is also a web page for the ELRepo Nvidia packages:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia

A page specific for the 304xx driver is here:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-304xx

Akemi