[CentOS] Centos 6.3 - which repos to use?

Sun Jan 27 09:09:28 UTC 2013
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 26.01.2013 22:07, schrieb James Freer:
>> From what i have seen of fedora and centos in the rpm world the repos
>> are very much better in the debian world. To me the stability comes
>> from the distro and it's repos. Not being able to install Abiword or
>> yumex, having to spend time selecting options for repos to me simply
>> isn't worth it.
>>
>> I've just installed a Slackware distro today and it's the best i've
>> ever tried in 6 years of using linux. It's speed, ease of installation
>> put's it in a league of its own. Or as their 'chilling warning goes'
>> Once you go Slack... you never go back!

What!
> have fun with a package management without dependency tracking
> well, without the probles above are hidden, but not solved
>
> a funny thing to play with - but laughable for production environments
> which you maintain over many years without reinstall them ever

>From what i've read Slackware has had dependency problems covered
since it introduced Gslapt ans Slapt. From what i could see last
evening it seems as good as apt/synaptic. Although one could say
that's not much good; synaptic doesn't completely remove all
associated files, neither does apt's --purge option, although the more
recent --autoremove does. But Debian's default package manager
aptitude which few know how to use as they don't print off and read
the 1 ins thick manual that comes with it - aptitude is the best
package manager of all.

There was only dependency problems with rpm and debian's dpkg - the
apps didn't cope with it. Yum may do it now but it is also very slow
by comparison with Aptitude. I think you've been unfairly critical
tbh. From what i can deduce neither Debian or Redhat systems come
close to the speed of slackware and i don't know why yet.

james