[CentOS] Frustrated. Java on Centos 6 doesn't give an error message when downloading from a Samsung Galaxy S3

Sat Jun 1 05:01:11 UTC 2013
Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com>

On Fri, 31 May 2013 20:50:00 +0000, Rock wrote:

> So, I guess the question is:
> Q: How do I install rhythmbox & vlc with the newer libmtp?

To follow up on that question, here's a summary that I *think*
is correct.

0. The real solution is to have libmtp updated by the Redhat
developer community so that MTP mode works; until then, the
PTP mode setup is an effective workaround - if you know the
tricks.

1. You apparently need to connect the phone once in order
to even *see* the GUI for switching from MTP mode to PTP
mode; so after you do that, make sure you reboot the
Centos PC with the phone disconnected from it.

2. You apparently do *not* need the updated libmtp RPM to
use PTP mode; so your rhythmbox and vlc programs should be
unaffected by this MTP->PTP workaround

3. You apparently *must* unlock your phone before connecting
it to the Centos PC; and if you connect without unlocking, you
may have to start all over with a Centos PC reboot (why this is
the case is beyond me but don't fight it; just reboot and
remember to unlock the phone before connecting it to the PC).

4. Once the phone is permanently in PTP mode, and the Centos
PC has been rebooted without the phone being connected, you
can *unlock* the phone, and then connect it to the Centos PC;
and the result should be your file system on the phone
being accessible on the Centos PC.

In my test just now, there was no error message whatsoever!
The workaround sounds so easy, in retrospect! :)