[CentOS] Cert RHCSA

Wed Jun 5 09:32:31 UTC 2013
Micky <mickylmartin at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 06/02/2013 11:39 AM, Micky wrote:
>> Unless you really wanna spend money on it, I would say that
>> certification is just a piece of paper. Ah discard that, in this case,
>> it is not even a piece of paper since you don't get one after passing!
>>
>> Have been there, seen the guys who knew more than CEs or SAs.
>>
>> Just get the books, read them, study the docs and put it to use!
>
> This is just not true.  Most companies who actually hire workers and pay
> salaries want certified people.

Yes it is not unless you are Judith Shine or Charley Babbage. Have you
managed to find a dream job like that?
People in the HR don't know the shit about most certifications. They
treat all cattle the same!

> One can certainly get a job without a certification and it does not mean
> that the person who has a certification is the best thing since sliced
> bread ... however, it certainly proves that the person with the
> certification has a certain set of minimal qualifications.

That is also not true. I see the Red Hat certification dogma following
M$ track lately.
If you claim that you certainly haven't been to the *real* market
outside! If you have been to one, recently, you would know that no
matter what certification you get, you'll mostly end up to the same
line in the chain of food. The probability of exceptions are one a
hundred thousand!

> In other words, it does not raise the ceiling (or high water mark or
> maximum) for knowledge level, but it certainly raises the floor (or low
> water mark or minimum) knowledge that you know the person has.

That can also be attained by just reading books, docs and most of all,
its application.

> It also shows that they are at least a little concerned about what they
> look like professionally.

Yea yea yea, I don't want to talk about my certifications.

> In my experience, people who complain about how little certifications
> mean don't have any and are too lazy to care about getting any ... your
> mileage may vary.

In my opinion, the people pushing you towards a certification have
either something to gain from it, affiliated with the grand scheme of
corporate profits somehow, are rich or they have simply have been
sadly out-of-the-loop from real world!

Although ignorance is a bliss but certifications don't really matter,
knowledge does!