[CentOS] KVM console?

Wed Jun 5 19:23:50 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-06-05 at 12:43 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I finally got access to some machines with more resources than the
>> free VMware ESXi license allows which pushed me into trying kvm
>> instead.  Seems capable enough for what I need and can even import and
>> run the existing vmdk images I already have.   But, I have some
>> questions about accessing the virt-manager console remotely for
>> initial configuration, etc..   Normally I use freenx for remote GUI
>> access and it seems to work except that on the Windows guest I tried
>> the cursor position never stays in sync.   Are there better ways to
>> get remote access to the GUI or centralize access to a group of KVM
>> servers?   Or do most people automate the VM setup to the point where
>> they don't need console access until it is up on the network where you
>> can connect directly to the guest?
>
> Use use Remmina as a client and freenx on most of my servers.  Remmina
> supports NX, RDP, VNC, native X11 and others an can tunnel any over ssh.
> That being said, I've heard some people say some very good things about
> Spice (not to be confused with the electrical engineering Spice as in
> gnuspice), which is NOT support by Remmina.
>
> Someone told me that Spice  was only usable for host to VM remote
> desktops but, the last I heard, it looks like it's approaching a general
> purpose remote desktop that can outperform NX.  But it's really hard to
> beat NX.

I don't really understand the details yet, but it looks like a vm can
be configured to use vnc or spice for its console - but how do you get
the connection established somewhere other than the virt-manager
running at the host?  What client would you use to do this and how do
you know the connection details?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com