[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 19:59:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> Finally, I've seen so many issues over the years, that at home, I run at
> runlevel 3, and have startx in my .bashrc. Doing it that way, if you have
> line, and you can look to see what was wrong with X. If you do want to
> stay at runlevel 5, work it out this way, and once you've got it fixed,
> you can do so.

Agreed.  If you edit /etc/intiitab and change:
id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:
the system will not start X or a GUI desktop at bootup and you would
log in in character mode.  After logging in, 'startx' will start up X
and your desktop session.   I was hoping this might display a better
diagnostic for whatever problem you have - and as Mark says you can
easily kill it and drop back to the character mode session.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com