[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Robert Benjamin

benjie1 at cox.net
Thu Mar 28 20:14:27 UTC 2013

On 3/28/2013 3:49 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> It's always a problem, if there's too much blood in your caffeine
> stream.... <g>
> <snip>
>>>>
>>>        init 3 it did shutdown the partly working X session. Several line
>>> flashed on screen and 2 had FAILED at end of line. Too fast to readtwhat
>>> it said.
>>>        startx  Fatal server error:
>>>                     Server is already active for display 0
>>>                    If the server is no longer running, remove /tmp/
>>> .X0-lock and start again.
>>>           I did yum remove /tmp/ .X0-lock. It removed 17 packages and
>>> then I did startx (again)  Got the same  re: remove /tmp/ .X0-lock. One
>>> other line I saw Unable to connect to X server was present in output of
>>> startx.
>> That should have just been an 'rm /tmp/.X0-lock'  (a file, not
>> packages).   Not sure how much damage has been done at this point.  If
>> you know the package names, try to 'yum install' them back again.
>> And rm the file, and try startx again.
> Ok, first, as Les said, NO! Just rm the file. Now, to reinstall what got
> yum removed, look at /var/log/yum.log, and it's the last bunch of stuff,
> nicely timestamped, so you won't accidentally go too far.
>
> Then, take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and you'll be able to see, at
> the bottom, what it was trying to tell you.
>
> Note: if you haven't figured it out yet, all the system-related logs are
> in /var/log/.
>
> Note 2: find a copy of Fraesch's Essential Systems Administration,
> published by O'Reilly. I know the last update was '03; doesn't matter.
> Read chapter 1 and *esp* chapter 2, "The Unix Way", which will give you a
> really, really clear picture of how the whole thing hangs together, and
> the rationale behind why the filesystem is the way it is.
>
> Finally, I've seen so many issues over the years, that at home, I run at
> runlevel 3, and have startx in my .bashrc. Doing it that way, if you have
> line, and you can look to see what was wrong with X. If you do want to
> stay at runlevel 5, work it out this way, and once you've got it fixed,
> you can do so.
     Thought it was not a good idea to use yum remove .... but had to
try. In my head I could see you asking me to try it and I should have
TRIED something, not just sit here. Well, hopefully I can put those
packages back as you said, tomorrow. Will look for Fraesch book. Thanks
for the suggestion. Not sure if I'm at runlevel 5 .It's at whatever it
was set at during the install. Never changed any settings unless told
to. In the one login I only installed FF, TB, Calc Gimp etc from the
Applications menu .Entered email addys and bookmarks and logged out
thinking I'd be OK to get back in again. HA!