[CentOS] maintaining patches across releases

Thu Mar 7 00:25:26 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-03-07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> You may want to check this out:
>
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6087
>
> My understanding is that "There is no side effect other than the load.
> There are not performance issues with the ailds behaving like this."
> Is this not the case ?

As far as I can tell, it is.  I actually prompted Dave's quoted comment
on the XFS list:

So this would be a low priority task for me (as well as a learning
exercise).  If the patch were two lines I probably wouldn't bother.  ;-)
It is 99.5% cosmetic, but I have noticed that the ''baseline'' load,
when there is no I/O, varies between 3 and 4, which makes it very
slightly more difficult to interpret the load.  That is my main
motivation for bothering--if the baseline were more stable I probably
wouldn't bother.  (With fewer XFS filesystems mounted the issue is
even less obvious.)

> The wiki article:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules
>
> may not be quite up-to-date in that it does not reflect the kernel
> version for CentOS 6 (2.6.32). But the principle is there. For
> building your own modules, you can also download one of the kmod
> packages from ELRepo and study how it's done.

Perfect, thank you!  If people are interested, and I do make the
attempt, I will post my results.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us