[CentOS] maintaining patches across releases

Thu Mar 7 00:36:42 UTC 2013
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Keith Keller
<kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2013-03-07, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> You may want to check this out:
>>
>> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6087
>>
>> My understanding is that "There is no side effect other than the load.
>> There are not performance issues with the ailds behaving like this."
>> Is this not the case ?
>
> As far as I can tell, it is.  I actually prompted Dave's quoted comment
> on the XFS list:
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2012-11/msg00594.html
>
> So this would be a low priority task for me (as well as a learning
> exercise).  If the patch were two lines I probably wouldn't bother.  ;-)
> It is 99.5% cosmetic, but I have noticed that the ''baseline'' load,
> when there is no I/O, varies between 3 and 4, which makes it very
> slightly more difficult to interpret the load.  That is my main
> motivation for bothering--if the baseline were more stable I probably
> wouldn't bother.  (With fewer XFS filesystems mounted the issue is
> even less obvious.)

I thought about applying the patch to the centosplus kernel but
decided not to bother because it looked like a "non-issue". But it you
think it's worth the fix, that can be done. It will be even better if
you supply the actual patch for the CentOS kernel.

Akemi