[CentOS] Lockups with kernel-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686

Fri Mar 8 17:52:20 UTC 2013

SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Nearly every time we've had lockup problems it has come down to bad or
>> failing memory.
>> >
>> > I've even had memory cause problems where it would pass a quick
>> memtest but ultimately would fail if you left it running
>> > the tests overnight.
<snip>
>> I was leaning towards memory after swapping the power supply did not
<snip>
> If it's not memory related (test this memory in another system) then it is
> probably a motherboard failure.  I've seen weird symptoms where the system
> will boot fine, but once the Linux kernel begins to build its cache it
> triggers a lock up/throws an exception.
<snip>
I lean towards the m/b failing. Btw, the Penguins I've mentioned that had
m/b's replaced - most of them, we can run a *user* program (parallel
processing using torque, very heavy duty scientific computing), and it
will crash the system, through reboot, repeatably. We've shipped them
back, and they wind up replacing the m/b.

     mark