[CentOS] Lockups with kernel-2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.i686

Fri Mar 8 17:33:07 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > Nearly every time we've had lockup problems it has come down to bad or
> failing memory.
> >
> > I've even had memory cause problems where it would pass a quick memtest
> but ultimately would fail if you left it running
> > the tests overnight.
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I was leaning towards memory after swapping the power supply did not

Sure sounds like a memory related lock up since you've ruled out the power
supply.

> solve the problem. There are 4 8GB DDR3 sticks, so I took out two and
> ran with 16G.  It still failed. I then swapped that out for the other
> 16GB. Still failed. What I haven't tried is to downclock the memory to

Are you able to boot the system with memory in the second pair of slots?

If it's not memory related (test this memory in another system) then it is
probably a motherboard failure.  I've seen weird symptoms where the system
will boot fine, but once the Linux kernel begins to build its cache it
triggers a lock up/throws an exception.

In that case the memory controller was probably going so that ancient
system got thrown out (was not in production).  In that case the system
previously had a proprietary Linux 2.2 kernel and a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel would
cause it to wig out.  Differences in how a 2.2 and 2.4/2.6 kernel allocates
memory really brought out the problem in that system!

But to be sure, run a memtest overnight on the original 4x8GB RAM as has
been recommended by others.