[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

Thu Mar 14 15:01:00 UTC 2013

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 03/14/2013 09:17 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> So, another admin I work with rolled out most (but not kernel) updates
>> to 6.4... but including xorg. I log out the end of the day, and I'm
hosed -
>> no X.
<snip>
>> I try to upgrade kmod-nvidia from elrepo. Anyone got any good
>> explanations
>> as to why they'd put kmod-nvidia-310.40 in the repo, with the previous
>> version not obvious... AND NOT HAVE THE *REQUIRED* nvidia-x11-drv-310.40
>> in there? Why not wait until both pieces could be uploaded, since
>> kmod-nividia WILL NOT INSTALL without the other...?
<snip>
>> Also, is dkms coming in, or deprecated?
>
> None of those modules are in CentOS, but a 3rd party repo.

That's fine. I found it annoying, but was trying to figure out whether to
set that up with the proprietary driver or not. Thanks.

> How about you test your setup and how 3rd party repos interact with it
> ... THEN ask on the 3rd party repo's own mailing list how or why their
> packages no longer work with the update?

I'd Have Been Glad To Test First... but read the first para, above....

Actually, also, I note that this does *not* happen with CentOS base; I
just can't imagine why someone would do something that stupid as elrepo
seems to have.

      mark