[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

Thu Mar 14 16:21:26 UTC 2013
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 14/03/13 15:01, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 03/14/2013 09:17 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> So, another admin I work with rolled out most (but not kernel) updates
>>> to 6.4... but including xorg. I log out the end of the day, and I'm
> hosed -
>>> no X.
> <snip>
>>> I try to upgrade kmod-nvidia from elrepo. Anyone got any good
>>> explanations
>>> as to why they'd put kmod-nvidia-310.40 in the repo, with the previous
>>> version not obvious... AND NOT HAVE THE *REQUIRED* nvidia-x11-drv-310.40
>>> in there? Why not wait until both pieces could be uploaded, since
>>> kmod-nividia WILL NOT INSTALL without the other...?
> <snip>
>>> Also, is dkms coming in, or deprecated?
>>
>> None of those modules are in CentOS, but a 3rd party repo.
>
> That's fine. I found it annoying, but was trying to figure out whether to
> set that up with the proprietary driver or not. Thanks.
>>
>> How about you test your setup and how 3rd party repos interact with it
>> ... THEN ask on the 3rd party repo's own mailing list how or why their
>> packages no longer work with the update?
>
> I'd Have Been Glad To Test First... but read the first para, above....
>
> Actually, also, I note that this does *not* happen with CentOS base; I
> just can't imagine why someone would do something that stupid as elrepo
> seems to have.

We (elrepo) didn't. Both components were pushed together, I can assure
you. Both packages were signed and pushed on 9th March, some 5 days ago.

Can you please provide evidence to support your claims. Please provide a
link to the mirror with the missing file then we can investigate and fix
IF there is indeed an issue.

Don't get me wrong - I take reports of issues very seriously. But in
this case you make accusations without any evidence to support them. You
don't seem interested in requesting or receiving support, but rather
just want to have a rant, evidenced in part by the title of your thread
and the fact you have yet to provide any useful details that would
actually help someone determine what your issue is and how to best fix
it. And as Johnny pointed out, this isn't even the correct forum for
your rant.

Anyway, I am glad to see elsewhere in this thread that you no longer
intend to use the elrepo NVIDIA packages. I am glad you have found a
solution that works for you and wish you good luck with that.