[CentOS] PHP Questions on move from CentOS 5.x to CentOS 6.x

Sun Mar 24 16:14:07 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/24/2013 10:45 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A malfunctioning disk this past week accelerated a lingering decision to
> move to CentOS 6.x from CentOS 5.x.
>
> Most of our content is functioning and being presented as it should be.
>
> However, there appear to be php-related issues.
>
> Basic squirrelmail (a php-dependent package) works correctly.
>
> However, drupal, and other php-dependent parts that call postgresql and
> mysql databases  of our site are not being presented.
>
> Apache's log files show a 503 (for postgresql) and 500 (for mysql) errors
>
> I'm troubleshooting this through obvious channels (looking at logfiles,
> searching google, sdiff'ing configuration files).
>
> However, if someone has suggestions or answers, please do speak up!

The php versions in CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 are different.  You don't say
what version you are using and what version you moved to WRT php.

However, if you were running the default, the versions of software that
run on CentOS-5 might have to be upgraded to run on the newer php in
CentOS-6. (from php-5.1.6 to php-5.3.3)

You might also need to follow the upgrade procedures when moving from
the older version of mysql and postgresql in CentOS-5 to the newer
versions in CentOS-6.  (mysql-5.0.95 to mysql-5.1.67, postgresql-8.1.23
to postgresql-8.4.13)

Upgrading for major versions (ie, from CentOS-5.x to CentOS-6.x) is a
major undertaking and data/configuration files usually have to upgraded.

This is unlike moving between point releases within the same major
version (ie, moving from 5.8 to 5.9 or 6.3 to 6.4).  This is because
"minor version" upgrades are designed to just work because of
backporting and freezing ABI/API changes inside the Major version ...
whereas changing Major versions is a major upgrade and should be planned
and testing accordingly.