[CentOS] PHP Questions on move from CentOS 5.x to CentOS 6.x

Sun Mar 24 16:27:24 UTC 2013
Max Pyziur <pyz at brama.com>

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On 03/24/2013 10:45 AM, Max Pyziur wrote:
>> Greetings,

[...]

>> However, drupal, and other php-dependent parts that call postgresql and
>> mysql databases  of our site are not being presented.
>>
>> Apache's log files show a 503 (for postgresql) and 500 (for mysql) errors
>>
>> I'm troubleshooting this through obvious channels (looking at logfiles,
>> searching google, sdiff'ing configuration files).
>>
>> However, if someone has suggestions or answers, please do speak up!
>
> The php versions in CentOS-5 and CentOS-6 are different.  You don't say
> what version you are using and what version you moved to WRT php.
>
> However, if you were running the default, the versions of software that
> run on CentOS-5 might have to be upgraded to run on the newer php in
> CentOS-6. (from php-5.1.6 to php-5.3.3)
>
> You might also need to follow the upgrade procedures when moving from
> the older version of mysql and postgresql in CentOS-5 to the newer
> versions in CentOS-6.  (mysql-5.0.95 to mysql-5.1.67, postgresql-8.1.23
> to postgresql-8.4.13)
>
> Upgrading for major versions (ie, from CentOS-5.x to CentOS-6.x) is a
> major undertaking and data/configuration files usually have to upgraded.
>
> This is unlike moving between point releases within the same major
> version (ie, moving from 5.8 to 5.9 or 6.3 to 6.4).  This is because
> "minor version" upgrades are designed to just work because of
> backporting and freezing ABI/API changes inside the Major version ...
> whereas changing Major versions is a major upgrade and should be planned
> and testing accordingly.

Thank you.

I'm basically on a stock CentOS 6 system; for clarification, here's what
rpm returns:
rpm -q php postgresql mysql
php-5.3.3-22.el6.x86_64
postgresql-8.4.13-1.el6_3.x86_64
mysql-5.1.67-1.el6_3.x86_64

One correction that took place is to add .php in the Apache directive like
this (for a mysql-enabled website); it's a virtual host:
AddHandler server-parsed .html .php

Now at least somethings shows, but the screen is also littered with all of
the variable settings (sometimes typical with mysql/php
misconfigurations).

I know of upgrading database issues when moving to postgres 9.1; I also
know of *major* issues when moving from postgis 1.5.x to 2.0.x

MP