[CentOS] How to load balance interrupts of a NIC on the PCI-MSI-edge driver in CentOS? :(

Alex Flex aflexzor at gmail.com
Tue May 21 18:05:59 UTC 2013

Thanks John,

You have been most helpful.

Do you happen to have any suggestion to the following:

In my lab test with two identical Core I5 machines I created a syn flood
on a gigabit switch: In the originating machine I was able to get 800k
pps using one core only and that core was used at 75% with top reporting
most of the consumption was at SYS, and SI almost nothing. At the
recieving side the core assigned to the IRQ of the NIC was maxed with
100% SI (syn cookies was disabled).

Why is clearly so significantly expensive for the recieving side rather
than the sending side to process a syn flood if they have identical
hardware? Oh and btw the recieving side could only do 400k pps.

Thanks!
Alex