[CentOS] SuperMicro with LSI MegaRaid with Centos 6.0

Tue May 21 18:49:41 UTC 2013
Gregory P. Ennis <PoMec at PoMec.net>

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> I am trying to install a Centos 6.0 system on a SuperMicro with an LSI
> MegaRaid SCSI 320-2 controller.
>
> I had originally tried to install 6.4, but the 6.4 install DVD does not
> boot with this configuration.
> See :
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=5377

I don't think you understand how to use it. First, BEFORE YOU TRY TO
INSTALL, use the firmware option while it's getting up - I think it's
<ctrl-R>, and create a logical drive, whatever RAID level you want, with
spares if it's not just RAID 1. Tell it to initialize (you can do a quick
initialize). Then exit that, and it'll reboot, and Linux will see it
presented by the controller as one physical drive, and it should be happy.

      mark

Mark,

Thank you for your response.  You are correct in that I may not
understand how to configure the LSI, but I had some help that was very
familiar with the LSI controller, but not familiar with Linux.

Actually the configuration key is <ctrl-M> or <ctrl-H>, and we did
create a RAID Level 1; we also did an initialization that resulted in a
100% a consistency check.

After this, I expected to be able to start the 6.0 install, but when the
install disc got to the point of evaluating the hard discs it did not
find any, and gave me a prompt screen allowing me to select a driver
from a list, or add a driver via a floppy disc.  There were (maybe four)
LSI drivers in their list, and I tried all of them without success.

Thanks again, any other ideas ??????

Greg