[CentOS] read-only file system when trying to save files

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Fri Nov 1 22:55:42 UTC 2013

On 11/01/2013 06:36 PM, Wes James wrote:
> I have installed emacs with yum and now I'm trying to create a .emacs file
> and put some commands in it, but I can't type anything in the emacs
> buffer.  It says the buffer is read-only.  I exited emacs and did touch
> .emacs and I get a message that it can't do that on a read-only file
> system.  I googled around to see why this might be, but I can't see any
> links on this.  Any tips why this might be doing this?  I've heard that
> centos is strict on changes, but I don't know the extent it restricts
> changes.  I followed a page where I did echo 0 >/selinux/enforce .  But
> this is only good until reboot. But shouldn't I be now able to make changes
> in ~*
>
> Thanks,
>
> -wes

[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ ls -al | head -2
total 704896
drwx------. 120 mlapier mlapier      4096 Nov  1 18:31 .

Your home directory must belong to you and have write permission as
shown by the "w" in the drwx at the beginning of the line above.

You can open up your permissions if you feel so inclined but I wouldn't
suggest it.

--
    _
   °v°