[CentOS] read-only file system when trying to save files

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 10:05:02 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Wes James <comptekki at gmail.com> wrote:

> That was it.  This is an old mac pro that I put centos on yesterday.  It
> had 4 disks in it and this is the 3rd that has died.  A faculty member had
> it for 5-6 years and it was on 24/7.  It's been in the junk pile for
> several months.  I guess long enough for the disks to go south from sitting
> on so long then going off for a period...  maybe....  Anyone heard of this?

It is hard to predict hard disk failure.   I have had "sealed" Seagate
enterprise grade disks DoA.

Install smartd (smartctl) and watch the logs for impending failures
and take corrective actions when you start noticing failures in the
smart report; even this is not full proof.   RAID gives some comfort
level but do keep backup of important data in multiple places.

--
Arun Khan
Sent from my non-iphone/non-android device