[CentOS] Postfix vs Sendmail

Sat Nov 2 17:58:33 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 10:41:53AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> >
> > I asked why postfix was preferable, but didn't any convincing reply.
> > The general response was along the lines that it was the "modern" way.
>
> Sendmail was written back in the days of wooden computers and iron
> programmers and uses a macro language configuration technique designed
> to be efficient for the computer.  Postfix was what you get if you
> start over with the idea of making it easier for the humans.   But,
> that part only matters if you need to configure it to do something
> that no one has ever done before.  Otherwise you just re-use an
> existing setup.

yes. having found sendmail configuration fairly impenetrable (to me)
I've accumulated a set of rules for the sendmail.mc file that do what
I need (it's a mail server at home, serves exactly two users) and
just copy it to each new system, 'make' it, and voila. but there was
some not-inconsiderable pain involved in coming up with the recipes.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?