[CentOS] [OT] Building a new backup server

Mon Nov 4 13:01:46 UTC 2013
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 04.11.2013 12:44, Sorin Srbu wrote:

> Anyway, BackupPC is my preferred backup-solution, so I went ahead to
> install
> another favourite, CentOS 6.4 - and failed.
>
> The raid controller is a Highpoint RocketRAID 2740 and its driver is
> suggested
> to be prior to starting Anaconda by way of "ctrl-alt-f2", at which
> point
> Anaconda freezes.

Hi Sorin,

Please check this page, if you have the driver from the manufactured it
shows you how to load it:
https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/sect-Driver_updates-Use_a_boot_option_to_specify_a_driver_update_disk-ppc.html

> I've come so far as installing Fedora 19 and having it see all the
> hard-drives, but it refuses to create any partition bigger than
> approx. 16 TB
> with ext4.

Yes, RedHat puts in this artificial limit. They say they do not support
volumes larger than this and recommend XFS instead, which is what I
recommend as well.

> I've never had to deal with this big raid-arrays before and am a bit
> stumped.
>
> Any hints as to where to start reading up, as well as hints on how to
> proceed
> (another motherboard, ditto raidcontroller?), would be greatly
> appreciated.

Just a thought - I maintain a CentOS destop oriented remix and have an
ISO with the kernel from elrepo.org (kernel-ml):
http://li.nux.ro/download/ISO/Stella6.4_x86_64.1_kernel-ml.iso
It's not tested much but the kernel might be new enough to support the
raid card, if you can install it you could keep using it; "changing it"
it to CentOS is trivial.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!