[CentOS] It just dies

Tue Nov 5 03:16:52 UTC 2013
Mauricio Tavares <raubvogel at gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Michael Hennebry
<hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> I reinstalled CentOS.
> Just used the default repositories.
> It just dies.
> The screen suddenly goes dark and I cannot do anything.
> Other virtual teminals are unreachable.
> The green light on my monitor turns yellow, indicating not signal.
> The only evidence of life is that I can
> usually reset it with the reset button.
> The power button is usually unnecessary.
>
> I cannot try to remote in from another computer
> because I do not have another computer.
>
> After a couple of the crashes,
> I've seen pages of orphan nodes in the / partition.
> Eventually I did yet another install using another / partition.
> Fewer orphan nodes.
>
> I've looked in /var/{dmesg,Xorg.0.log,messages},
> but did see anything that looked like a killer.
> That might be because I do not know what I am looking for.
>
> Any suggestions on where else I should
> look or what I should be looking for?

      I take you eliminated hardware issues already, right? The orphan
node thing kinda scares me. Second, how about if you configure grub
not to boot in graphical mode
(http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/35143-boot-fedora-grub-into-text-mode-only.html)?
You know, no X or anything like that; you can always start it manually
later. In other words, let's get machine running first.