[CentOS] Install to internal USB?

Sat Nov 9 07:01:01 UTC 2013
Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Nov 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM, Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
> Saw a trick today, wondering if anybody else had done/tried this? Assume
> you have a 1U rackmount with 4 front-accessed drive bays, and you want
> all four bays for a 4-disk RAID5 storage.
>
> The idea is to use an internal USB adapter and a couple of bigger USB
> thumb drives to install to, RAID 1 style, freeing up all your external
> drive bays. At first, I didn't think that a thumb drive would hold
> enough for the O/S, but in actual production use for a file server with
> 14 TB of redundant storage, the OS actually uses less than 6 GB!
>
> Here's the internal USB adapter specifically mentioned:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PODI1W

Some of the newer workstation/server boards have an internal USB
(female) connector soldered on to the board; specifically meant for
embedded OS.    I have seen it on the Supermicro and Dell systems.

> I'd be concerned about getting a higher quality drive than the $10
> givaways at Staples; Anybody here ever tried this?

Make sure you do buy industrial quality USB pen drives.  I use Apacer
but there are others in the market.

I prefer to use SATA Disk on Modules (DoM).  For basic server install
a 2GB DoM is plenty.

In either case, do not put swap on the flash drive.

-- Arun Khan