[CentOS] RAM Requirements

Sat Nov 23 15:40:03 UTC 2013
Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 09:41:49AM +0200, Chris Geldenhuis wrote:
> On 11/23/2013 07:35 AM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> > Hey Y'all,
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can look, please post a URL, where I can find
> > out what the minimum system requirements are for CentOS 6.4?
> >
> > I've searched the CentOS.org web site for this but I've come up empty.
> > I've got an old machine that had RH9 on it.  The HD died so I had to
> > replace that.  Now I'm thinking that I want to install CentOS 6.4 on it
> > but the minimal install disk says that I don't have enough RAM for it to
> > do the install.
> Hi Mark,
>
> I recently installed CentOS 6.4 on a 386 system with 512kb of memory. I
> had to use a kickstart file to achieve this as the text installer does
> not give you any opportunity to partition the disk to your specification.

I doubt it was an actual 80386. For some years the minimum CPU requirement
has been i686, which was Pentium Pro or greater. More recently the
additional requirement of a CPU with PAE capabilities. I rather doubt
that a processor that ran RH9 (a decade or more ago) would have PAE,
though I have been wrong before (once or twice! :) :) )

Fred