[CentOS] died again

Tue Nov 26 16:32:27 UTC 2013
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> The computer is a DakTEch Freedom 4 P4 DDR System.
>> The system board is a D865GBFL w/LAN,audio & video
>> Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz 800FSB
>> I got it in 2006.
> <snip>
> It is getting long in the tooth. (I'm about to replace my m/b of the same
> vintage at home.)

Ouch.
$200+ before installation,
and I'd still have a computer some Linuxes don't like.

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> machine down and run memtest86 for a few hours (say, when you go to
>>
>> I've run the memory test that comes with the Fedora 13 install disk.
>> My computer's memory got a clean bill of health.
>
> I've seen a machine where it took 3+ days of running memtest86 to
> catch the error.  And then after replacing the RAM, the machine still

Clean bill from memtest86 running overnight.
The memory is the newest part of the computer.
After rebooting, it crapped out twice in half an hour.
After that, I went back to F14.

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

>      K. Anything interesting from smartctl? Have you used bonnie++
> before? I think if you run it in a window/screen and then keep an eye
> on dmesg you might find issues on the HD.

Hadn't heard of either until now.
Looked up smartctl:
[root at localhost ~]# smartctl -H /dev/sdb
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i386-redhat-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Please note the following marginal Attributes:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   068   044   045    Old_age   Always   In_the_past 32 (0 34 33 25)

[root at localhost ~]# smartctl --test=short /dev/sdb
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i386-redhat-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode".
Drive command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.
Testing has begun.
Please wait 1 minutes for test to complete.
Test will complete after Tue Nov 26 10:02:10 2013

Use smartctl -X to abort test.
[root at localhost ~]# smartctl -l selftest /dev/sdb
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i386-redhat-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     44279         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%     44279         -

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily