[CentOS] died again

Tue Nov 26 16:57:26 UTC 2013

Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>>> The computer is a DakTEch Freedom 4 P4 DDR System.
>>> The system board is a D865GBFL w/LAN,audio & video
>>> Processor Intel Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz 800FSB
>>> I got it in 2006.
>> <snip>
>> It is getting long in the tooth. (I'm about to replace my m/b of the
>> same vintage at home.)
>
> Ouch.
> $200+ before installation,
> and I'd still have a computer some Linuxes don't like.

Expensive board. Is this at home? I got a Gigabyte board and Core I-3
combo at MicroCenter for under $200, I think. "Installation"? Hey, we're
sysadmins, we build our own systems! <g>

> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>>
>>> I've run the memory test that comes with the Fedora 13 install disk.
>>> My computer's memory got a clean bill of health.
>>
>> I've seen a machine where it took 3+ days of running memtest86 to
>> catch the error.  And then after replacing the RAM, the machine still
>
> Clean bill from memtest86 running overnight.
> The memory is the newest part of the computer.
> After rebooting, it crapped out twice in half an hour.
> After that, I went back to F14.
<snip>
If the memory looks good, and the disk looks good, the only two things
left are either the CPU or the m/b. I don't remember from earlier in the
thread - do you have a video card, or onboard video? If the former, that's
the third second thing.... If that's not a hot card, you might consider
replacing that first.

        mark