[CentOS] Samba problem

Joseph Hesse joehesse at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 14:31:51 UTC 2013

On 10/05/2013 03:49 AM, Marios Zindilis wrote:
> This intrigued me enough, to fire up two VMs in VirtualBox, one Win7, one
> CentOS, bridged network, and copied your Samba configuration, used it as
> you pasted it in the original message.
>
> There are some questionable options in your smb.conf. For example, there is
> an "interfaces" option, which is meant to limit the network interfaces on
> which Samba listens, but then there is "bind interfaces only = no" which
> negates the former. Also there is "browsable = yes" in the [homes] share
> definition, which I think makes one user's home directory visible to other
> users, which is not usually what you want. That said, your configuration
> should still work fine.
>
> In my case, to get it to work, I had to do "smbpasswd -a admin" and give
> admin a samba password, which made it possible for user admin to browse his
> own share _on_the_localhost_ (on CentOS machine).
>
> To be able to browse if from Windows, either:
>
> 1. You need to also be logged in as "admin" in Windows 7 (worked for me
> when I logged in as "admin" on Win7) or,
>
> 2. You need to create a user mapping, but adding a line in the [Global]
> section of /etc/samba/smb.conf reading "username map =
> /etc/samba/username.map" and the edit "/etc/samba/usename.map" and add one
> line in it with "SambaUsername = WindowsUsername". For example. the line
> "admin = marios" inside /etc/samba/username.map worked for me while logged
> in Win7 as "marios" (not as admin any more).
>
> I hope the above are useful.
>

> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Chris Weisiger <cweisiger at bellsouth.net>wrote:
>
>> when I set it to share I don’t need a password....its configure like an
>> anonymous file server. but I can tune the settings in actual shared section
>> of the conf file

I thank you and everyone who replied to my Samba problem.
What worked for me is to have a Windows user with the same name as the
user on the CentOS computer and set a Samba password to be the same on
both machines. What confused me is that many times I log on to a service
on another computer and only have to know the name and password of the
computer I am logging in to.

My real home network consists of my wife's Windows computer and multiple
Linux desktops. I backup my computers using rsync.  For the windows
computer I looked at Cygwin which has the rsync program but decided
instead to map a drive letter on her computer to a Samba share.  She
then could use the Windows backup program and backup to the Samba
share.  Afaik, the Windows backup program mirrors the selected files on
the backup device.  She has no need of restoring files prior to a
certain date.